Sunday morning at the Langford house and that means pancake time!
Even as a teenager, I never understood folks who paid good money to buy crap pancake mix at the store. They are ridiculously easy and cheap to make at home from scratch.
whole wheat pancakes recipe
- 1 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs veggie oil
- 1/2 c. AP flour
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs powdered sugar
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined. Do not over mix. Batter will be wet and slightly lumpy.
- Let sit while you heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Grease skillet and our batter onto hot pan in aprox. one cup dollops. I like to use a water pitcher or measuring cup with a spout to do this, but a ladle works as well.
- Watch pancakes carefully. Once bubbles around the edge form and solidify, flip over.
- Cook on opposite side until lightly browned.
- Substitute sugar for equal amount of honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup
- Replace whole wheat flour with buckwheat flour
- Replace milk with buttermilk, soy milk or almond milk
- Add orange or lemon zest
- Add nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, ginger, pumpkin pie spice . . .
- sautéed apples
- chocolate chips
- toasted nuts
- maple syrup and butter (obviously!)
- banana slices and toasted pecans sautéed in butter, brown sugar and splash of dark spicy rum
- jam and yogurt
- peanut butter
- fresh berries and whipped cream