Trying to keep both my grocery bill and my meat consumption down these days. I’ve been on the lookout for cheap and cheerful meals that make the most of less.
This pie took leftover chicken and veg from the garden and turned it into decadent delishiousness for a couple more meals.
Recipe: Cheap and Cheerful Chicken Pie
Please feel free to use whatever veggies you have in your fridge, garden or freezer. The amount of chicken is also totally up to you. Our goal here is to clean out the fridge and use what we have on hand.
Waste not, want not!
- 1 square puff pastry, defrosted (one “cheat” won’t kill you!)
- leftover chicken, shredded (minimum 1 cup)
- 3 – 4 potatoes or sweet potatoes, small dice
- 2 – 3 carrots, small dice
- 3 med. onions, small dice
- handful of mushrooms, roughly torn
- 2 c. peas
- 2 or 3 stalks celery
- olive oil
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 1/3 c. flour
- 1/2 c. cream
- 2 tbs butter
- handful fresh sage, minced
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tbs worcestershire
- 1 tbs dry mustard
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- milk or beaten egg (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat stock in pot with potatoes.
- Heat oil in large pan and saute onions. Add salt and pepper, garlic, ginger, coriander, mustard, celery seeds, worcestershire and herbs and continue to saute until onions are translucent.
- Add celery, mushrooms and chicken.
- When potatoes are nearly ready, add carrots to stock. When carrots are nearly cooked, turn off heat.
- Stir butter and flour into chicken mixture. Slowly add stock, carrots and potatoes. Stir in cream.
- Gently bring back to a simmer.
- Roll out your puff pastry to fit your baking dish.
- Pour everything into your chosen baking dish. (I used a 9 x 13 glass casserole.) Top with your rolled pastry. Brush with a little egg or milk if you feel like it. Strictly a vanity thing. We all want to be pretty.
- Pop entire thing in the oven for about 15 minutes or until pastry is golden and gravy is bubbling.
- Serve with lots of crusty bread to mop up.